A Weekend of Equine Dentistry, Temporo-Mandibular Joint Anatomy and the Trigeminal System
Midwest Equines Services is teaming up with Healing Oasis Wellness Center of Sturtevant, Wisconsin, to present “A Weekend of Equine Dentistry, Temporo-Mandibular Joint Anatomy and the Trigeminal System” on Jan. 21-22, 2017 at Midwest Equine Services in rural Elkhorn.
The seminar’s main topics will be Equine, Dentistry, TMJ, Anatomy and Trigerminal System. This will be a hands on equine dental seminar and expanding on the TMJ anatomy and trigeminal system. Speakers for this CE seminar are Travis Henry, DVM DAVDC DAVDC/Eq and Pedro Luis Rivera, DVM, FACFN, Dip-ACVSMR.
The seminar is intended to help the attendees on expanding the knowledge base on equine dentistry and how to provide such services. TMJ anatomy and information about the trigeminal system will be provided.
Main goal is to make this seminar not only interactive, but also one that attendees will be able to share their knowledge as well!Download a registration form
Date: Jan. 21-22, 2017
Location: Midwest Equine Services; W3143 County Road D., Elkhorn, WI 53121 (map)
Recommended hotel: Hampton Inn Elkhorn; 40 West Hidden Trail, Elkhorn, Wisconsin, 53121, USA TEL: (262) 743-2360
Speakers: Travis Henry, DVM DAVDC DAVDC/Eq and Pedro L. Rivera, DVM, FACFN, DACVSMR
For more information: Visit the Healing Oasis website
Schedule of events
Saturday, Jan. 21, 2017
- 8:00AM-Noon Travis Henry = Basics of Veterinary Equine Dentistry Topics to be covered:
- The Oral Examination in the Horse: (8:00 – 8:50AM) A five component based examination process for systematically performing the oral exam in the horse. A review of dental anatomy will be discussed.
- Diagnostics in Equine Veterinary Dentistry: (9:00 – 9:50AM) Instruments that are used in the oral examination of the horse will be shown. Details will be discussed pertaining to specific instruments to identify oral pathologies.
- Radiography in the Dental Patient: 10:00 – 10:50AM) The presentation will describe how to obtain dental films and how to formulate a radiologic interpretation for the common dental pathologies.
- Sensory Innervation of the Equine Dental Patient: 11:00 – 11:50AM)The innervation of the oral cavity will be reviewed. Regional and local nerve blocks will be described and how to perform the specific blocks will be discussed.
- Noon-1:00PM LUNCH
- 1:00-1:50PM Hands on with specimens – cadavers
- 2:00-2:50PM Hands – on with specimens.
- 3:00-3:50PM Continuation
- 4:00-4:50PM Continuation
- 5:00-5:50PM Q and A
Sunday, Jan. 22, 2017
- 8:00-8:50AM Final thoughts about equine dentistry and next steps
- 9:00-9:50AM Spinothalamaic and trigeminal
- 10:00-10:30AM Cont.
- 10:30-11:20AM TMJ anatomy
- 11:30-12:15PM Hyoids
- 12:15-12:30PM Q and A
Registration informationDownload a registration form
About Pedro Luis Rivera, DVM, FACFN, DipACVSMR
Pedro Luis Rivera, DVM, FACFN, DipACVSMR graduated from Purdue University, School of Veterinary Medicine in 1986. He has been practicing integrative veterinary medicine and in particular Veterinary Spinal Manipulative Therapy with emphasis in functional neurology for the last 20 years. Dr Rivera is a Fellow of the American College of Functional Neurology, Diplomate of the American College of Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation and an international speaker on functional neurology, spinal manipulation and rehabilitation. Dr Rivera and Michelle Rivera are the program directors and owners of the Healing Oasis Wellness Center, a nationally accredited and recognized school (under the US Dept of Education) providing state approved post-graduate certification programs (under the Educational Approval Board of Wisconsin) for licensed professionals. Dr. Rivera and Michelle Rivera are also owners of the Healing Oasis Veterinary Hospital – Equine Services offering veterinary spinal manipulation, massage, rehabilitation therapy, Chinese & western herbology to all of the patients that seek their help.
About Travis Henry, DVM DAVDC DAVDC/Eq
Dr. Travis Henry graduated from Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine in 1993. After graduation, he has pursued interests in equine dentistry along with general practice and owned and operated a full service, eight doctor, equine clinic in northeastern Wisconsin. Dr. Henry has been very involved with improvements in equine dentistry and developed the Flexi-FloatTM, the most advanced mechanical floating system on the market. Dr. Henry now provides dental training for several equine practices, conducts veterinary seminars and enjoys dental practice in southeastern Wisconsin. Dr. Henry completed a dental and oral surgery residency at UC Davis and successfully obtained board certification with the AVDC in the nonspecies specific track. In 2016, he completed and passed the AVDC Equine board examination.Download a registration form